Tuesday 18 September 2012

DAY TWENTY-THREE: 2,000KMS = A CIVIC RECEPTION

Day Twenty-One (Györ to Budapest) Daily Distance: 138.94 kms
Days Twenty-Two and Twenty-Three (Budapest Rest Days)
Total Distance: 2015.32 kms
Having arrived in Hungary, the plan was to head from Györ to Esztergom, north-west of Budapest, and then into the capital the next day, but we decided to take on the whole stint in one day instead. So on day Twenty-One, we left our comfy, central hotel in Györ early to ensure arrival at a reasonable hour (it’s taken a while, but we’ve now developed a habit of booking ahead).

The morning surprised us all. First of all, given the experience we had riding from the border into Györ, during which we struggled to find roads that welcomed cyclists, we were expecting the roads out of Györ to be equalled unfriendly to cyclists. Secondly, our guide book mentioned with no ambiguity the difficulty of navigating out of the city due to heavy traffic and a lack of signs. Finally, we had expected fairly barren land as the map didn’t show many towns of significance. On the contrary, however, we found our way out of the city quite easily and onto relatively nice roads on which it appeared we were actually welcome, and we then spent most of the morning riding quickly through town to town, with little traffic on this Sunday to slow us down.
The signs clearly didn't stop us...
I had a confusing moment just before lunch when I thought my Dad had made a surprise visit to see us, but after running in circles for 200m (or more), I realised I’d been had.

After lunch with the flies in an empty industrial park, we embarked on an afternoon ride that was much less pleasant than the morning. The primary reason for this was our decision to upgrade from ‘B’ roads to ‘A’ roads given the distinct lack of traffic and the fact that the ‘A’ roads to Budapest were more direct. Unfortunately, however, the road surface was very poor and traffic proved much busier than expected. We finally made it to Budapest intact, however, and had a stunning descent into ‘Buda’ (the current city being derived from two previous, smaller cities, ‘Buda’ and ‘Pest’, divided by the Danube) as the afternoon was drawing to a close, and having covered over 130kms which finally pushed us over the 2,000km mark.
Again we fell on our feet, ending up in a very comfortable, large apartment that was able to house us for THREE nights – what a reward! I was given these two days off tour guiding duties so Alan and Dan opted for the open-top tour bus to do lots of sightseeing. In the meantime, I have done a load of washing and tended to my dirty and tired bike that has been abused for over 2,000kms in only its first month of life!!
As for Jim, his schedule has been very hectic, since his hometown of Poynton (I can hear the cheer all the way from the Poynton Sports Club as it gets its first mention in The Blog!) is twinned with Érd, a town of 65,000 located just outside of Budapest. As he is heavily involved in sport in Poynton (mainly cricket, lacrosse, and the Saturday afternoon drinking club) he has met with some of Érd’s sporting representatives to strengthen the sporting relationship between their two towns.(Now I know what you're thinking: "Never 'Erd of it...")
It is quite a good story really: who ever knew that anyone was crazy enough to ride from Poynton to Érd?! This is probably the reason that there was a request for Jim and his bike to be present for official photos which, in turn, is the reason we weren’t joking when we offered Jim one of our bikes to take to Érd. You see, Jim’s bike looks a little like one you might find at a metal recycling depo, and when it is moving it sounds very much like someone shuffling through the goods at that same depo!
We were also joking when during the lengthy build-up to this famous event we enquired as to whether Jim would get a Civic Reception or receive the keys to Érd, but in fact this was not a joke after all, as his itinerary for the day included a meeting with the Mayor (honestly!), two TV interviews (still being honest!), a personalised visit to the National Geography Museum, four special Érd t-shirts for the Ninja Turtles, some drinks at a local winery and a ride to the sign in Érd that Poynts to Poynton.
Jim shaking hands with the Mayor of Erd!
"Poynton 1976km", which given our 2015km travelled means we must have made a 39km detour at some stage!
Jim was genuinely overwhelmed by the reception he received and he can't wait to reciprocate when some crazy Hungarians decide to ride from Érd to Poynton. And rest assured, if they can handle the 2,000kms and the crazy English drivers, there will be a civic reception awaiting them, too! 

35 comments:

  1. Paz - you look like you need a shave or else you will come home looking like your father! Keep up the hard work - Lee and Lindz xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. is That Jim giving a little curtsey to the Mayor of Erd? Did he meet his twin?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is surreal and super cool. Jim is a legend. Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Paz,
    Looks like you're having a pretty awesome adventure. Looking forward to reading about the rest of it.
    Rob dog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Jim was welcome at Érd, and the performance of the devoted Team is very much appreciated. These pictures documents that Jim is not the biker hero, but good atother activities too:_ https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/108501944532113115787/albums/5789771143071272945 like wine tasting and table tennis too...

    Have a good trail-wind all along the tour!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, you are passing by us and I wondered if you guys wouldn't mind some company for a few kilometers? I'll also bring along a native incase you have any issues or things you need but just can't translate! It is now the evening of Thursday 20th September and according to your schedule you should be leaving Budapest tomorrow.
    It would be great to meet up and cycle along with you, if only to help you gang up on the crazy Hungarian drivers. Do you have a rough idea of the route (on the "5" I assume)? Do you have any way I can contact you?
    Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Parri. My name is Tony I'm Miss Hearnden's student. I am here to write you a letter to see how you're going on with your journey. Anyway back to the subject.
    I am really interested in what you planned out to travel 3,410 km wow!! I hope you make it. Your blog is awesome because you're writing about your journey's. I hope someday I could do the same but I reckon i would not make a whole 3,410 km.
    Hope you don't give up.

    By: Tony Ngo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Parri,

    My name is Lara and I am 11 years old. I am one of Monique's
    students at Mission Heights. We have been reading your blog for a couple of weeks.
    I think it is really nice of you to ride 3200km to fundraise for Parkinson's disease. I don't think I could even ride 100km on a bike!
    Well thank you, from Lara.

    P.S. Good luck with the Ninja turtles

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Parri! I think it is very smart to try and help your dad with his Parkinson's disease, BUT WHY ARE YOU CYCLING ACROSS EUROPE!? You must be having a shower in sweat. I don't get how cycling so much really helps? It must be so cool to visit so many different countries and meet the mayor of ERD!!! And by the way if cycling across Europe really does help good luck with that and I hope your dad gets cured.

    FROM ALINA :P



    p.s: If cycling across Europe really does find a cure for Parkinson disease then when I am older I will find a cure for cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Parri: I like your blog and I think it's kind of cool how you're cycling for Parkinson's disease. My class has read your blog about cycling across Europe. I'm looking
    forward to reading your next blog. I wish you and your friends good luck.

    From: Marco Da Costa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Parri,

    My name is Maria and my teacher is Monique Hearnden. For the past few days we have been reading your blog. Our whole class can't believe that you have traveled over 2000kms riding a bike in just 23 days. I find it really kind that you are raising money for your Dad. I bet you're really tired and just want a one week rest. My class and I think that you are awesome for helping your dad. It must be tiring riding a bike for about 100kms in one day. It must be kind of fun visiting new cities every single day. I can't believe that you still have only 1400kms left. Don't give up Parri we know you can do it.

    Yours sincerely, Maria

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Parri,

    Hey I'm Jassleen and I am one of one Monique's students and if i could i would join you but i can't you know, family, school and stuff like that. But just remember that I am with you
    every step of the way (by your blog of course.)

    From: Jassleen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Parri
    My name is Daisy Wu and i am from LZ15.
    For the past few days we have been reading your blog about your trip to Istanbul.
    You tried to raise money for your dad. Monique keeps talking about you and says that you are a good friend of hers. If i was you I would just do the some thing else.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Parri, I'm Amrit from Mission Heights Primary school. I'm in your friend Monique Hearnden's class. I read your blog you have travelled about 3 thousand kilometres on a cycle, that's amazing!
    I can barley even ride 2 kilometres how can you manage so long! I like your nickname Ninja Turtles - it's extremely cool!
    I heard about the harmful disease your Dad has, I feel extremely sorry for him. Good
    luck fundraising and have fun.I hope your dad gets well soon!!
    From:Amrit
    LZ15[Learning Zone 15]
    Mission Heights Primary School

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Parri, my name is David and I'm a student in Monique Hearnden's class. I've seen your blog so far and its pretty cool. You have ridden a tour bike so far and only in 2000km. You might have even learnt something in the past 23 days. It was very funny when you got confused
    at that Dads sign. Oh well 1410km to go. Have a safe trip.

    From: David good bye!

    ReplyDelete
  16. "YOU ROCK"
    Hey ya my name is Zuhaa and I've read from where you started and where you're going to end your journey. It's amazing that you're doing this for the people with Parkinson's disease. "GOOD LUCK"to you and your mates. I look forward to reading your next Blog.
    "YOU ROCK".

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dear Parri:

    Dear Parri, my name's Emeline and I'm 10 years old I am one of Monique's students and your story blog is pretty cool. You traveled so far, good job! And you've done a really good job but its kind of sad because you traveled 2,000km and that's a lot. I reckon you've been to the Olympics already, but seriously you are really good at riding your bike for a long time,
    but for real 28 days! You must be sweating a lot! Well great job Parri!

    From: Emeline

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Parri! Do you know that Miss Hearnden is my teacher. Is it tiring to ride a bike 3410 KM. Do you have a brother or sister? What is your favourite colour? Do you have a wife? Are you still sweaty? And by the way my name is Jaysha! After you read this you should really put some videos of you riding onto your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Parri, my name is Hruthin. I've seen your blog and it is very cool and sensational. It's terrible that your dad has Parkinson's disease but he is lucky that he has a ongoing son who has traveled 2000km across Europe in 23 days, imagine how many kilometers
    your final destination will be 3410km! Hope your dad feels better. Good luck on
    your journey!

    From Hruthin have a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Parri. You're doing really well. I hope you have a safe journey to Istanbul where your
    destination is. I can't wait for you to be there and talk about how your journey was.
    If I were you I would give up easily.
    ("GO GO GO you can do it")

    Yours Sincerely: CHRYSLER

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Parri, my name is Dylan. I have liked your journey so far, 3410km amazing!
    I can't believe your bike survived. I love cycling too, so I hope you finish
    your exciting journey.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Parry!My name is Josh you're so kind while you're cycling around Europe. I hope you get many funds for your Dad's Parkinson Disease. I was reading your blogs, i saw you're pictures and more. I hope you and your friends with you are fine. It is hardwork cycling around Europe fundraising for your Dad's disease and for the other people that have Parkinson's Disease,Take Care!


    From:Josh
    LZ15
    Mission Heights Primary School

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Parri,

    My name is Angela from a school called Mission Heights, I'm in LZ15 one of
    Monique's students. My class is reading your blog these days and we really
    like it, we can't believe you can ride that long. I think you are really determined to what you are doing and I want to be like you. Telling the truth you are quite lucky to go to all those cool places.

    P.S. Good luck to you and every one who went with you.


    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Parri,
    Hello my name is Tamara, and I think what you're doing is very kind and generous. Raising money for your Dad and other people who have Parkinson disease. I hope you reach your destination safely and raise lots of money for the cure. Good luck to you and your good mates.

    Yours Sincerely, Tamara Lemafa

    ReplyDelete
  25. Go Parri go! You're nearly there we're going to be with you every step of the way, well not actually but we're going to be on your blog 24/7, jokes. I cant belive you're doing this I wouldn't If I we're you I would just sit on the couch.Your pictures on your blog are so cool it feels like I'm with you guys. Well its time for me to go so have a great time and remember these words,Go Parri Go!
    PS: I'm in Monique Hearnden's class

    ReplyDelete
  26. Dear Parri, my name is Ashley and I am from LZ15. I love your blog because it is so interesting and I love reading it with my classmates. I am really proud of you because you have cycled a long way. Your friend, Miss Hearnden is LZ15's teacher. She is great. I believe you are very strong for doing this. Well done to you, Jim, Alan and Dan.
    From Ashley/LZ15

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello! My name is john.
    we heard you,jim and alan cycled 2000km!
    Wow happy 2000th km
    we all wish you and your friends well.
    could I please ask a few questions?


    how do you use internet?


    doesent your bikes tyre flatten out?


    how long do you spend with your bike each day?

    OK. i think thats it.
    but you guys still have fans and its us and were cheering for the ninja turtle cyclers.
    we wish you well thank you


    go ninja turtle!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Parri

    My name is Bella and I am one of Monique's students. I think your trip is really cool. I am in LZ15, I am really proud of you because you have traveled so far. Monique, our teacher has shown us your fantastic blog of your journey. I can't believe that you have traveled 2,000km with an really old bike.
    What a great job you did!

    From Bella

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hello Parri, I'm Max from Miss Hearnden's class. I have enjoyed reading
    your adventure of how you traveled here and there. I hope you have
    the strength to carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Parri, my name is Gurjesh. I am Miss Hearnden's student and she is a really kind teacher, she has told us a lot about you and she says you are amazing at travelling in Europe. I heard about the harmful Parkinson's disease that your Dad has. I have seen your blog that you updated on the computer, it was really interesting and sensational because you are doing all this cycling for your dad. It is really cool travelling 2000 km just in 23 days. You are a really good traveller and LZ15 [Learning Zone 15] really likes you. I wish all the best to you and your team mates. I hope your dad gets better. Good luck!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Parri, my name is Lynn and I'm in Miss Hearnden's class. Our class, LZ15 has been reading your blog these days. I can't believe that you have travelled over 2,000 kilometres! Wow! If someone asks me to cycle over 2,000 kilometres, I would never do it. I feel really sorry for you because your dad has got a harmful disease. I am really proud of you, Parri and I love your nicknames, Ninja Turtles. I was wondering how dark the Danube was. I hope you have fun and I hope your dad gets better.
    From Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Parri, my name is Michael. I'm very surprised that you traveled 3,000kms and more.
    Was it hard from the start? Where you thinking of giving up instead?
    How many kilometers are still left?

    Michael Ng

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi parri!
    How is the trip? You must be sweating like pigs out there but beside the pigs I like your blog.
    i forgot to introduce myself! i am lereagan Gounden monique's student.
    say hi to Jim,Dan and Alan for me.
    you traveled 2000km Wow!how do you manage.
    it is pretty cool what you are doing for Parkinson's.
    the sights are beautiful well..... it is beautiful in real life.
    anyway best of luck !

    ReplyDelete
  34. oh and my name is sophia

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Parri, i'm Jasraj. I am one of the students from Monique Hearnden's class, your friend. We know you've travelled so far which is about 2000 km we know you're doing this for your father and we all feel sad for you to `so good luck on your fund raising!!!!

    ReplyDelete